Shit your parents should know?? as told by someone who has never had kids but is still right on the fuckin’ dime.
- When you’re a parent you are no longer the center of your world. Your kid is the center of your world. And kids are not always outwardly grateful. You’re the adult, even when your kids reach 18. When your kids are 18 they are not totally the middle of your world anymore, yes. But this doesn’t mean you can just ignore them or treat them like a full blown adult. Usually they still need you. So be there. When they want to talk to you, drop your shit and listen up.
- If your kid has a mental illness under no means does this mean that you understand just how they feel even if you have the same illness, that you are hurt more than them, that it is harder for YOU as a parent to watch your kid suffer than it is for your own fucking child to deal with it. again, sit down, shut up and listen to your kid.
- dO YOU KNOW HOW MANY FUCKING PROBLEMS CAN BE EASED OR SOLVED WITH CLEAR FAMILY COMMUNICATION AND YOU SHUTTING YOUR MOUTH AND MAKING YOUR KID FEEL SAFE AND VALIDATED LIKE THEY CAN TELL YOU ANYTHING HOLY HELL ON FIRE THAT IS A LITTLE HUMAN BEING YOU ARE RAISING IN THIS WORLD BE A SAFE PLACE FOR THEM
- Have patience and kindness. give it a fucking try. Your kid is going to react accordingly to HOW YOU TREAT THEM. If you’re brash and stern and ignore them and shit things like that your kid will either (this is two reactions of many): Be hurt and walk away or be hurt and get loud about it. so if you think your kid is being “sassy and annoying” use your fucking brain and ask YOURSELF FIRST: how did I treat my kid for them to react that way? (if your kid is honestly just being rude and unkind without a push from you you gotta talk to them about their attitude. Don’t say “attitude” like some snooty mcHigher-than-thou asshole okay we hate that never be that parent. Ask them if there is something going on in their life that is making them frustrated. Instead of right off the bat condemning them, talk to them. Find out why they did the thing and then discipline them accordingly)
- If you yell at your kid and they yell back gUESS WHO FUCKED UP? YOU. NOT YOUR KID. so apologize and lower your voice.
- I can’t believe I am teaching you how to apologize but here we go
- HOW TO SAY “I’M SORRY”
- put down everything your doing and sit down with your kid
- tell them “i apologize” or “i’m sorry” THERE IS NO “i’m sorry but” or “i apologize but”
- State what you are sorry for.
- promise you will actively try YOUR VERY BEST to not do it again.
I’m piss at computers so here we are at number one again
- do not ever
- ever ever ever
- abuse your child
- I CAN’T BELIEVE HOW MANY PARENTS FUCK THIS UP??
- WHAT GOES ON IN YOUR HEAD THAT SAYS
- HEY WOW LOOK AT THIS AMAZING HUMAN I BROUGHT INTO THE WORLD
- I AM GOING TO MAKE IT HURT AND CRY AND FEEL BEYOND SHIT
- LIKE WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU ?!!
- take some interest in their hobbies!! get excited about shit! If your kid is like “HEY WOW LOOK AT THIS COOL THING I LOVE A LOT” be like “yooOOO WHAT COOL THING I BET IT’S AWESOME LETS CHECK IT OUT!!”
- tell them that you care about them and SHOW IT with your actions.
that’s it that’s all I got right now
because I’m not even a parent
but when I am someday I won’t forget this stuff
NEVER USE “ALL I DO FOR YOU” AS AN EXCUSE TO BE AN ASSHOLE TO YOUR KID
additional note: verbal abuse is a thing. micro-aggressions are a thing. don’t take a dump on what your kid likes. value your kid’s opinion, respect that they have feelings like every other human being. to quote one of my friends: “they’re just a little dude tryin to figure things out.”
be a friend to your child.
additional note to parents:
when you marry someone else and have a kid with them don’t ignore the other kid..
don’t just pretend that the kid that happens to be ‘born in wedlock’ is the only thing that matters!
and don’t punish a child when they refuse to forget about their real mother and call their step mom ‘mother’ i don’t care how much you love your new baby and wife but i’m not forgetting my mom.
I’d like to say how happy I am that this post is going around.
Your parents should love and respect you and treat you with kindness and care. The fact that a lot of parents don’t do that makes me sick to my god damn stomach and I am so sorry. If I could I would make sure every kid is treated right by their parents…
Just because you didnt use the words “You are fat” doesnt mean your child cant tell that you are indeed calling them fat
Dont pretend you’re more stressed about my school work than me just because you had to meet with a teach once this month. I deal with them almost everyday and deal with the actual work itself
"When I was your age, I (insert point of argument here)" is not a good reason to yell. We are not the same person. We were not raised under the same circumstances, we are not going through the same things.
A friendly reminder! Just because you use the phrases “Calm down, it’s just a joke” or “We’re family, it’s just a joke” or anything including the words family or just a joke does not mean that what you say isn’t any less hurtful.
If anything, because they’re probably already insecure about whatever you just “joked” about, hearing it come from their actual parent makes it hurt about fifty thousand times more than it would coming from a friend or a stranger.
They can’t tell you off, either, like they could a friend or stranger. They have to just sit there and take it, and it can be really damaging.